HIGHLAND QUILTERS – WORKSHOP
10am to 4pm Wednesday 16th May 2018
Cost – £40 (non- refundable booking deposit £15 )
St. Ninian’s Catholic Church Hall
21 Culduthel Road, Inverness IV2 4AN
Jo Avery has been playing with fabric and yarn as long as she can remember, culminating in her current role as designer, teacher and entrepreneur. Her natural affinity with expressive colour informs all her quilts and her love of intricate techniques, such as needle-turn appliqué and embroidery, adds further levels of rich detailing and allows her to embrace both modern and traditional aesthetics. Jo enjoys inspiring others to discover their own creative potential through her workshops and retreats.
WORKSHOP – IMPROV (Improvised) FLOWERS
Enjoy a day of pure patchwork play in this “improv” based workshop. Jo will be showing you how to make patchwork flowers and leaves from fabric with a “no ruler” technique. plus we will be looking at sewing curves, bias tape stems and a way to appliqué by machine without raw edges. In the afternoon we will be using needle-turn applique to finish our piece. Jo will be showing you clever techniques for two basic shapes – leaves and circles. Jo’s methods for appliqué fabric preparation use a variety of materials including foil, interfacing and even leather! Your finished panel would make a lovely cushion or the start of a wall hanging or Quilt.
- Sewing machine, threads etc.
- A few fat quarters suitable for background fabric (Jo used low volume patterns but solids would be fine too.)j
- A lot of scraps for the flowers and leaves (or a selection of different coloured fabric from your stash, both printed and plain)
- Some slightly bigger pieces of fabric for the green stems, approx. 15ins square *2
- Jo will have scraps to share as well
- Basic sewing kit and rotary cutting equipment (mat, ruler and cutter, if possible)